Performing Weddings in BC

Who can perform wedding ceremonies in the Province of British Columbia (BC)? Marriage may be solemnized by Civil or Religious representatives. Everyone that is credentialled by the religious body – Clergy Support Memorial Church (CSMC) are religious officials (Clergy).

Religious Marriage

A religious marriage is performed by a religious official (Clergy) of a recognized religious body, like CSMC, who has received authorization from the Office of Vital Statistics to perform marriages in BC under the Marriage Act. The marriage can be solemnized under the authority of a marriage license depending on the religious body.

Civil Marriage

In BC, a Judge or a Marriage Commissioner may perform a marriage under the authority of a marriage license. These are not our rules, these are the rules of the Province of BC.

The other option is clergy. In order to qualify as clergy, a person must connect, get Ordained or Appointed and take all necessary training with a government recognized religious Body like CSMC.

Every denomination had fulfill the requirements of the marriage office memorandum to qualify as a recognized religious body. They were required to submit bylaws, rules and extensive written statements to Vital Statics in order to qualify for denominational status. Every denomination like CSMC is obligated to abide by their bylaws or risk losing status.

CSMC is committed to proper training, legitimate certification and investing in the lives of people who have passion and giftedness for performing Marriages in BC.

Please know that this means abiding by all government and denominational standards. We cannot bend the rules and we certainly will not break the rules to see people licensed. If you are willing to take all the steps necessary, according to the standards of CSMC and the Province of BC and commit to ongoing accountability and training then you can be considered as a candidate to become a Clergy in Clergy Support Memorial Church.


Please Read the Marriage Act:  BC Marriage Act.