The question that is uppermost in considering an applicant for ordination is not the number of college and seminary degrees a person may have, but: Is the applicant’s personal lifestyle and total life’s experience of a sort that would bring honour to our ministry? In short, the applicant should be of good report and of good character. Such are the reasons outlined on our website and they apply to Bob Martin.
Bob is being Ordained primarily because of the quality of his life experience and his great contribution to society for many years. Here is but one of many example: Bob holds the Fire Service Exemplary Service Medal for his contribution to the Fire Service in BC.
He was earlier Appointed and trained as a Designated Minister but is being raised to Ordained status.
Antique Car Shows with my 1968 Pontiac GTO convertible. Outdoor activities, Guitar – I love music, I have some wild pet crows, my food garden and my wife’s flower garden. I also teach Outdoor Safety, Survival First Aid and Boat Operator Card.
- Capilano University – Academics
- Vancouver Community College – Architectural & Structural Drafting
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors – Master Instructor, including deep diving, night diving, wreck diving, underwater photography, rescue diver, diver medic and First Aid Instructor, Nitrox Instructor and underwater navigation.
- Technical Diving Institute – Gas mixer Instructor, Technical Diving Instructor.
- Justice Institute of British Columbia – Structural Firefighting, Hazmat Response, British Columbia incident Command Level 1,2 and 3, Fire Command, Fire Service Instructor, Level two Instructor train the trainer, Post traumatic Stress Training for Fire Fighters, situational Awareness, Incident Safety Officer. Fire Investigator 1 &2. Team Building.
- British Columbia Safety Council – Transportation of Dangerous Goods Instructor, W.H.M.I.S. Instructor.
- Worksafe B.C. – Partner in Education Industrial trainer for Violent in the Workplace, Life Skill Management, workplace Health and Safety, Workplace bullying & harassment and other workplace related solutions.
The Fire Service Exemplary Service Medal for 20 years of Volunteer Fire Service.
I teach a one day program to women which involves mental and physical empowerment. A lot of the students come from bad relationships or are victims of domestic abuse or just beginning to have relationships.
Firefighter counselling was just something that came with my job as a Fire Department Leader. Firefighters come to me with varying degrees of P.T.S.D. or sometimes they just need to talk about the horrific scene they were involved in. This could also include debriefing after events to try defusing some of those human feelings that are destructive, not by burying them but talking about them as a group. We have a saying, “share it, don’t wear it”.
Personal Growth and Studies
I am continuously taking new courses, or refresher courses on the training I have or the training and teaching I am doing. The last book I read “Step Up and Lead” by Frank Viscuso.
I am currently the Deputy Fire Chief/Training Officer for Howe Sound Fire & Rescue as well as the Industrial Safety trainer for Howe sound Pulp & Paper Corporation which owns the Fire Department. I am the only full time paid Fire Fighter but I have 44 members in the department that train in 6 different disciplines: Structural Firefighting, Hazmat, Confined Space Rescue, Water Rescue, Wild Land Fire Fighting and High Angle Rope Rescue.
I also train approximately 400 employees for the Mill in Confined Space, Fall Protection, Heat Stress, Hot Work Permit, WHMIS, Lockout, Spark Watch and Dust Explosion migration. The core courses require an annual refresher.